Transport Allowance Rates as per 7th Pay Commission
Transport Allowance Orders PDF Download 2022
Double Transport Allowance out of the 50 percent 35 percent ceiling relating to Divyang – Finmin Order 21.2.2022
The Cabinet Committee approves today (21.10.2021) a 3% additional Dearness Allowance with effect from 1st July 2021 to all groups of Central Government employees and pensioners.
Transport Allowance Chart from July 2021
|Rate of Transport Allowance from 1st July 2021|
|Pay Matrix Level||Higher TPTA Cities||Other Places|
|Pay Matrix Level 9 and above||Rs. 7200 + 31% 7200||Rs. 3600 + 31% 3600|
|Pay Matrix Level 3 to Level 8||Rs. 3600 + 31% 3600||Rs. 1800 + 31% 1800|
|Pay Matrix Level 1 and Level 2||Rs. 1350 + 31% 1350||Rs. 900 + 31% 900|
Traveling Allowance Rates 7th Pay Commission
According to the accepted recommendations of the 7th pay commission, the percentage of Dearness Allowance is also calculated on the Transport Allowance and provides both the elements as Transport Allowance. So, the Transport Allowance enhanced from July 2021 as given below:
Pay Matrix Level 1 and 2
- Other Cities: 900 + DA
- TPTA Cities: 1350 + DA
Pay Matrix Level 3 and 8
- Other Cities: 1800 + DA
- TPTA Cities: 3600 + DA
Pay Matrix Level 9 & above
- Other Cities: 3600 + DA
- TPTA Cities: 7200 + DA
List of Higher TPTA Cities
What are TPTA Cities?
19 Cities are classified under Higher TPTA Cities. 1. Ahmedabad (UA), 2. Bengaluru (UA), 3. Chennai (UA), 4. Coimbatore (UA), 5. Delhi (UA), 6. Ghaziabad (UA), 7. Greater Mumbai (UA), 8. Hyderabad (UA), 9. Indore (UA), 10. Jaipur (UA), 11. Kanpur (UA), 12. Kochi (UA), 13. Kolkata (UA), 14. Kozhikode (UA), 15. Lucknow (UA), 16. Nagpur (UA), 17. Patna (UA), 18. Pune (UA), 19. Surat (UA).
Transport Allowance in Lockdown
The Central Government has notified to hold Dearness allowance for 18 months for all CG employees due to COVID 19 pandemic crisis. The Transport Allowance also granted the same amount for the freezing period of 18 months from 1.1.2020 to 30.6.2021.
1st July 2020 to 30th June 2021 = Transport Allowance + 17% of TA
Admissibility of Transport Allowance during Lockdown
Transport Allowance for the employees working from ‘Work From Home in the lockdown period is crucial. One of the rules says a minimum one-day attendance in a whole month for granting Transport Allowance.
Is ‘Work from Home’ a physical attendance for duty?
|RATE OF TRANSPORT ALLOWANCE|
|Pay Level (Grade Pay)||Higher TPTA Cities*||Other Places**|
|Level 9 and Above (GP 5400 PB-2 and Above)||Rs. 7200 + DA||Rs. 3600 + DA|
|Level 3 to Level 8 (GP 2000 to GP 4800)||Rs. 3600 + DA||Rs. 1800 + DA|
|Level 1 and Level 2(GP 1800 and GP 1900)||Rs. 1350 + DA||Rs. 900 + DA|
*Pay matrix level 14 and above = Rs. 15750 + DA or Availing Official car
What is the procedure to avail of the benefit?
Employees who have visually impaired, orthopedically handicapped, deaf and dumb/hearing impaired, spinal deformity. Employees will get a recommendation certificate from the Head of the orthopedics department, Head of the Ophthalmologist Department, Head of the ENT Department of a Government Civil Hospital.
What is the 6th CPC 7440 issue and when settled?
In the 6th CPC regime, employees who are drawing pay in the band Rs.7440 and above in Grade Pay of below 4200, were eligible for a higher Transport allowance of Rs.1600 instead of Rs.600 in A1/A Cities and Rs.800 instead of Rs.400 in Other Places.
The 7th pay commission did not mention this aspect in its report. After long deliberation, Govt accepted the demand and issued orders on 2.8.2017.
TA Chart for Level 3 and Above
The below table has described the changes in TA rates for pay matrix level 1 and level 2
|7th CPC Level||TPTA Cities||Other Cities|
|Level-1 (GP 1800) and Level-2 (GP 1900)|
|Level – 1||1350 + DA||900 + DA|
|3600 + DA (24200 and Above)||1800 + DA (24200 and Above)|
|Level – 2||1350 + DA||900 + DA|
|3600 + DA (24200 and Above)||1800 + DA (24200 and Above)|
|Level-3 (GP 2000) to Level-8 (GP 4200)|
|Level – 3||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 4||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 5||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 6||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 7||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level – 8||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-9 and Above (GP 5400 PB-2 and Above)|
|Level – 9||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 10||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 11||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 12||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level – 13||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
TA Table for Level 1 and 2
Transport Allowance for Matrix Pay Level 1 and Pay Level 2
Rs. 24,200 – Matrix Pay in Levels 1 and 2 is a magic number!
Transport allowance is one of the major elements in salary package for Central Govt employees including Railway employees. Transport allowance is paid annually at a minimum of Rs. 12,000 to a maximum of more than one lakh according to their grade and post.
TA on During Leave
The allowance will not be admissible for the calendar month(s) wholly covered by leave.
TA on During deputation abroad
The allowance will not be admissible during the period of deputation abroad.
TA on During Tour
If an employee is absent from the Headquarters /Place of Posting for full calendar month/months due to a tour, he/she will not be entitled to Transport Allowance. During that/those calendar months/months. However, if the absence does not cover any calendar month(s) in full, Transport Allowance will be admissible for a full month.
TA on During Duty
During training treated as duty. The allowance may be granted during such training, if no Transport Facility/ Traveling Allowance /Daily Allowance is provided for attending the training institute. During the Official tour of his training course, the allowance will not be admissible when the period of the tour covers the whole calendar month. Also, during training abroad, no Transport will be admissible when the period of such training covers the whole calendar month.
TA on During Inspection
During inspection/survey duty by Members of Special Parties within the city but exceeding 8 km. From the Headquarters or during continuous field duty either in or outside the Headquarters: Transport Allowance is given to compensate for the expenditure incurred for commuting both to and fro between the place of duty and residence. In case when one gets Road Mileage/Daily Allowance or free transportation for field/inspection/survey duty or tour for a period covering the whole calendar month, he/she will not be entitled to Transport Allowance during that calendar month.
TA on Vacation Leave
To vacation staff: Vacation staff is entitled to Transport Allowance provided no free transport facility is given to such staff. However, the allowance shall not be admissible when such a vacation spell, including all kinds of Leave, covers the whole calendar month.
TA on Suspension Period
During Suspension: As a Government employee under suspension is not required to attend office, he/she is not entitled to Transport Allowance during suspension where suspension covers the full calendar month(s). This position will hold well even if the suspension period is finally treated as duty. Where the suspension period covers a calendar month partially, Transport Allowance payable for that month shall be reduced proportionately.
Admissible of Travelling allowance
To Whom and When Travelling allowance is not admissible?
1. Central government employees who have been provided the Government facility of Staff Car Transport.
2. Absence from duty during a full calendar month, will not be admissible Transport allowance.
Central Government constituted a Committee under the Chairmanship of Finance Secretary to examine the recommendations of the 7th CPC on Allowances. The Allowance Committee submitted its report on 27 April 2017 to Government.
Finmin Issued Detailed Orders about Transport Allowance on 7.7.2017 – Click to read the full story
Amendment order regarding Transport Allowance on 2.8.2017 – Click to View the Order
DoPT & Finmin Orders on TA
More Finance Ministry and DoPT issued orders regarding the Transport Allowance and are compiled here for your ready reference…
The below table describes the Transport Allowance for Pay Matrix Level -1 and Level -2 after the release of the Finance Ministry Clarification…(Calculation for DA taken as 4%)
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance with DA(5%) Chart w.e.f. 1.7.2017
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance with DA(7%) Chart w.e.f. 1.1.2018
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance with DA(9%) Chart w.e.f. 1.7.2018
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance – Finmin and DoPT Orders
TA Eligibility Rules
Transport Allowance Eligibility Rules for the month of April 2020 to CG Employees
Transport Allowance Admissibility Rules for the month of April 2020 to Central Government Employees. Admissibility of Transport Allowance to Central Government Employees in lockdown period of April 2020. [Click to read more]
List of Other Cities for TA
Other than TPTA Cities, all cities and towns are classified as ‘Other Cities’. Faridabad, Gurgaon, Chazidabad and Noida are entitled to Transport Allowance at the rates applicable to ‘Other Cities’. [Click to read more]
Top Developments on 7th CPC TA
- Double Transport Allowance out of the 50 percent 35 percent ceiling relating to Divyangjan February 22, 2022
- Transport Allowance for Pay Matrix Level 14 – Recovery of Excess Payment Issue November 25, 2021
- Inclusion of HRA and Transport Allowance for the purpose of calculating Overtime Allowance February 8, 2021
- Clarification on Transport Allowance during Nation-wide Lockdown to Railway Employees December 7, 2020
- Clarification on Transport Allowance During Lockdown – BPMS Demands to Withdraw December 7, 2020
- Transport Allowance during lockdown for Central Government Employees December 2, 2020
- Check List for Temporary Duty Claim July 15, 2020
- Check List for Permanent Duty Claim July 15, 2020
- Payment of Transport Allowance to the Employees of National Library Kolkata July 10, 2020
- Payment of Transport Allowance for the month of April 2020 May 6, 2020
- 7th Pay Commission Transport Allowance Latest News – 17% DA Table from July 2019 October 11, 2019
- 7th Pay Commission: Rates of Transport Allowance June 10, 2019
- Eligibility of Staff Car/ Higher Rate of Transport Allowance to SAG Rank IOFS Officers May 28, 2019
- Clarification on Transport Allowance to Railway Employees February 27, 2019
- Transport Allowance to persons with disabilities employed in Central Government August 31, 2018
- Grant of Transport Allowance to Service Officers and PBOR August 31, 2018
- TA double to persons with disabilities – Finmin Clarification on 12.7.2018 July 12, 2018
- DA on Transport Allowance at Pre-revised Rates – Noting of DoE June 19, 2018
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance to Railway employees – NFIR June 16, 2018
- Transport Allowance to the Railway employees – Deprival of higher rate to those working in pay Level 1 & 2 April 6, 2018
- Transport Allowance (TPTA): Report of the Committee on Allowances October 24, 2017
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance 7440 issue settled August 14, 2017
- 7th CPC TA/DA, LTC, and PT Claims – Clarification Orders July 22, 2017
- Analysis of comparison of the transport allowances of 6th CPC and 7th CPC July 15, 2017
- 7th CPC Transport Allowance – Finmin Issued Orders on 7.7.2017 July 8, 2017
- 7th CPC Allowances Gazette Notification: Transport Allowance (TPTA) and Travelling Allowance July 7, 2017
- The date of implementation of the allowances has created a lot of anguish and serious discontentment in the CG Employees – NC JCM Secretary writes to Cabinet Secretary on July 3, 2017
- Transport Allowance Ready Reckoner for both Sixth CPC and 7th CPC July 1, 2017
- Transport Allowance will be lower in the 7th CPC on June 30, 2017
- Cabinet Decision on 7th CPC Transport Allowance June 29, 2017
- Grant of Transport Allowance at double the normal rates to deaf and dumb employees of Railways March 10, 2017
- Grant of Transport Allowance at double the normal to deaf and dumb employees of Central Government January 18, 2017
- Clarification on admissibility of Transport Allowance in the cases where the officers are drawing Grade Pay of 10,000 August 22, 2016
- Travel by Premium Trains on LTC, Official Duty, Tour, Training, Transfer – Clarification orders issued by PCAFYS August 28, 2015
- Grant of Transport Allowance to Railway employees on the basis of revised classification of cities/towns/localities – AIRF August 13, 2015
- Finmin orders on granting Transport Allowance to Central Government employees as per census 2011 August 7, 2015
- Based on the Census of 2011 HRA and TA increased for Central Government employees on June 5, 2015
- Revision of classification cities for the purpose of House Rent Allowance and Transport Allowance to Central Government employees May 31, 2015
- Foreign travel of Government officers – Clarification issued by Finance Ministry November 10, 2014
- Transport Allowance and Travelling Allowance Rules at a glance October 24, 2014
- Confederation writes to Finance Ministry regarding Transport Allowance to regulate to Faridabad Gurgaon, Ghaziabad and Noida cities at par with Delhi rates August 28, 2014
- JCM Staff Side suggestion on Transport Allowance June 25, 2014
- Transport Allowance to Central Government Employees at Faridabad, Ghaziabad Gurgaon, and Noida rates applicable to ‘Other Places’ March 10, 2014
- Granting of Transport Allowance to Deaf and Dumb Employees at double the normal Rates February 19, 2014
How to calculate Transport Allowance in basic salary?
Calculation of Transport Allowance on Basic Salary as per the recommendations of 7th pay commission with effect from 1st July 2017.
Calculation Formula for Transport Allowance per month:
- Rate of Transport Allowance = A
- Percentage of Current Dearness Allowance = D
Transport Allowance = A + [(A x D)/100]
Transport Allowance = [(Dearness Allowance x Rate of Transport Allowance)/100] + Rate of Transport Allowance
For example, if an employees’ basic salary is Rs. 49,000 in pay level 6 and he is working in Metro:
- Transport Allowance = 3600 + (3600 x 17) / 100
- The amount of Transport Allowance is Rs. 4212 per month.
Transport Allowance Enhanced to Pay Matrix Level 1 and Level 2
According to the order issued by the Department of Expenditure on 2nd August 2017, employees who are drawing of Rs. 24,200 and above in Pay Matrix Level 1 and Level 2 shall be eligible for grant of Transport Allowance at the rate of Rs. 3600 plus Dearness allowance per month for metro cities and Rs. 1800 plus Dearness allowance per month for all other cities.
Transport Allowance Calculation Formula
DA on Transport allowance calculation: The existing percentage of Dearness allowance is applicable for Transport allowance also. Apart from the amount of Transport allowance, the specific percentage of Dearness allowance will be calculated from the rate of TA and added to the Transport Allowance. A simple formula is given below for better understanding the calculation:
Amount of Transport Allowance = TA + [(DA% x TA)/100]
|Rates Transport Allowance as per 7th CPC|
|7TH CPC PAY MATRIX LEVEL||TPTA CITIES||OTHER CITIES|
|Level-1 (Basic Pay Below 24200)||1350 + DA||900 + DA|
|Level-1 (Basic Pay 24200 and above)||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-2 (Basic Pay Below 24200)||1350 + DA||900 + DA|
|Level-2 (Basic Pay 24200 and above)||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-3||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-4||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-5||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-6||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-7||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-8||3600 + DA||1800 + DA|
|Level-9||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level-10||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level-11||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level-12||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level-13||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level-13A||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
|Level-14||7200 + DA||3600 + DA|
TPTA Cities: *Ahmedabad (UA), Bengaluru (UA), Chennai (UA), Coimbatore (UA), Delhi (UA), Ghaziabad (UA), Greater Mumbai (UA), Hyderabad (UA), Indore (UA), Jaipur (UA), Kanpur (UA), Kochi (UA), Kolkata (UA), Kozhikode (UA), Lucknow (UA), Nagpur (UA), Patna (UA), Pune (UA), Surat (UA).
|Rates Transport Allowance as per 6th CPC|
|6TH CPC GRADE PAY||A1/A CITIES||Other Cities|
|GP 1800||600 + DA||300 + DA|
|GP 1800 (Band Pay 7440 and above)||1600 + DA||800 + DA|
|GP 1900||600 + DA||300 + DA|
|GP 1900 (Band Pay 7440 and above)||1600 + DA||800 + DA|
|GP 2000||600 + DA||300 + DA|
|GP 2000 (Band Pay 7440 and above)||1600 + DA||800 + DA|
|GP 2400||600 + DA||300 + DA|
|GP 2400 (Band Pay 7440 and above)||1600 + DA||800 + DA|
|GP 2800||600 + DA||300 + DA|
|GP 2800 (Band Pay 7440 and above)||1600 + DA||800 + DA|
|GP 4200||1600 + DA||800 + DA|
|GP 4600||1600 + DA||800 + DA|
|GP 4800||1600 + DA||800 + DA|
|GP 5400||3200 + DA||1600 + DA|
|GP 5400||3200 + DA||1600 + DA|
|GP 6600||3200 + DA||1600 + DA|
|GP 7600||3200 + DA||1600 + DA|
|GP 8700||3200 + DA||1600 + DA|
|GP 8900||3200 + DA||1600 + DA|
|GP 10000||3200 + DA||1600 + DA|